Bitwig Studio: Clock is not sent when recording is armed + play is triggered

Any questions about the Midronome
joncoe

Bitwig Studio: Clock is not sent when recording is armed + play is triggered

Post by joncoe »

Hello Simon and community,

(This conversation began as a direct email to Simon when I was experiencing difficulty accessing the forum; porting it over here):

Kickstarter supporter here! Overall quite happy!

I have an odd problem, as demonstrated by this video:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fe4K_Q ... p=drivesdk

The facts:

1. U-Sync is being used, and is active
2. A.PL is set to ON on the device,
3. Bitwig is NOT sending any MIDI information at all over USB.

The Problem:

When hitting play on the DAW, all is well. Clock is sent through the system, and everything is snazzy and perfect.

However, when arming the DAW for recording, upon hitting play, there is NO clock going into the system.

If I hit play, and then engage the recording, recording happens perfectly (and is very TIGHT, btw, running the capture playback along with the live system - nice!). But of course you can see the problem: missing those first few notes and beats.

The chain goes like this:

Bitwig DAW -> Midronome -> Novation 49SL II controller -> Sonic Entropy Engine Sequencer -> All the rest... synths, groove-boxes etc.

The Novation, the first stop, would give an indication of the clock running as you can see its sequencer running, as with the Engine, so nothing is breaking down following the Midronome.

I examined the various Bitwig settings in the software preferences. Nothing I can identify seems to be a candidate for the culprit.

I tried and tested using Ableton Live 11, and there are NO problems! The clock starts immediately after the -2-bar countdown, so this points to a Bitwig-specific issue.

Bitwig and Midronome family, does anyone have any suggestions here?

Thank you very much!

joncoe
Simon

Re: Bitwig Studio: Clock is not sent when recording is armed + play is triggered

Post by Simon »

Hi Jonathan, thanks for writing here.

Can you please look at the display and the "PLAY" button LED when you press play: does the display show "PLA" and does the play button LED turn on?
And is the "Locked" LED on when the DAW is playing?

Compare these between Ableton and Bitwig, and tell us the differences please.

On Bitwig, when it does not work (i.e. recording), after Bitwig is started, what happens when you press the Play button on the Midronome, do your machines start in time with Bitwig (they should do, but will start on bar 2 instead of bar 1)?

One last thing: what is your precise OS and Bitwig version?

Cheers
Simon