How does this device work technically?
-
jcharris
- Posts: 2
- Joined: 09 Aug 2026, 21:26
How does this device work technically?
Syncing lots of analog gear and midi devices is something that’s always been an annoyance. Currently I adjust midi clock in Ableton for each output device. I find that every time I power everything on the offset I have to adjust changes slightly, maybe a few milliseconds one way or another. How are you achieving this? Is the device getting a ping back from devices to determine delay and auto adjust? I’m here for the details 
-
RadekPilich
- Posts: 34
- Joined: 02 Jan 2026, 23:00
Re: How does this device work technically?
It provides stable clock for the device that does the adjusting. Clock generated on a shared computer CPU with shared USB controller is inherently unstable. Clock generated on Nome is Swiss precise and stable. If you want to align MIDI processing delay of multiple devices, you still need the helping of Ableton, Hapax or similar device.
-
jcharris
- Posts: 2
- Joined: 09 Aug 2026, 21:26
Re: How does this device work technically?
Ok if I understand correctly this means I still need to adjust midi latency in Ableton, but once I set it, I won’t have to change again in the future?
-
simntonic
- Posts: 104
- Joined: 27 Jan 2026, 10:01
Re: How does this device work technically?
Thanks Radek for replying.
@jcharris: yes that is correct, basically the Nome will give you a stable "base" (the clock) for the timing of all your devices, so they should land somewhere very stable in the Ableton's timing which you can move using the Hardware Instrument device in Ableton.
We currently cannot adjust MIDI Clock latency per MIDI output but this is something we hope to add eventually, either in the firmware or as an add-on.
Note that for now the Nome only sends MIDI Clock precisely, MIDI Notes can be sent as well but they are going through the "usual" USB-MIDI path, which means they will be sent when the DAW sends them. This is also something we plan on improving, by adding MIDI note suport to U-SYNC.
Simon
@jcharris: yes that is correct, basically the Nome will give you a stable "base" (the clock) for the timing of all your devices, so they should land somewhere very stable in the Ableton's timing which you can move using the Hardware Instrument device in Ableton.
We currently cannot adjust MIDI Clock latency per MIDI output but this is something we hope to add eventually, either in the firmware or as an add-on.
Note that for now the Nome only sends MIDI Clock precisely, MIDI Notes can be sent as well but they are going through the "usual" USB-MIDI path, which means they will be sent when the DAW sends them. This is also something we plan on improving, by adding MIDI note suport to U-SYNC.
Simon
Sim'n Tonic Support